Taung District Hospital doctor suspended for assaulting a cleaner


  

By OBAKENG MAJE 

18 August 2026 – A medical doctor, Kingsley Idugboe who allegedly assaulted a cleaner at Taung District Hospital has been suspended. This comes after the North West Department of Health has finalised its investigation into the matter. 

On 8 July 2025, Idugboe allegedly assaulted a cleaner, Kegomoditswe Monogwe (58). Monogwe previously told The Guardian Newspaper that there was a certain doctor who was staying at the doctors’ residential area within the hospital vicinity and gave her some belongings when he moved out. 

However, it is alleged that Idugboe took those items instead.

“So, there was a confrontation between Igduboe and I that led to an assault. We were fighting for the key of the house and he bit my finger. I reported the matter to the hospital management and also opened an assault case at Taung Police Station.

“I spoke to the doctor who said I should take the belongings from the house and alluded that he never gave Igduboe any right to take them,” she said.

However, Monogwe raised some concerns after Igduboe returned to work. She alleged that she feels like her case was not taken seriously as the hospital management has not communicated with her the outcome of the investigation, including the police as there was no arrest.  

Now, the North West Department of Health spokesperson, Tebogo Lekgethwane said: “We can confirm that the department has conducted an internal investigation following allegations of assault involving a medical officer, Idugboe to a cleaner at Taung District Hospital.

“The investigation has since been finalised and adverse findings were made against the implicated doctor. The recommendation was that disciplinary action should be taken against the implicated medical officer. The department has approved the investigation report.” 

Lekgethwane further said the findings and recommendations of the investigation were formally communicated to the Chief Executive Officer (CEO) of the Taung District Hospital for implementation. He added that, for the record, the complainant was interviewed during the course of the investigation and was fully-informed about the process. 

Meanwhile, by the time of going to press, the CEO of the Taung District Hospital was still studying the outcome of the hearing and the verdict and is yet to share a report with the provincial department.

taungdailynews@gmail.com

South African journalists honoured at 2026 SADC Media Awards


18 August 2026 – South African journalism has earned regional recognition, with two media professionals honoured for excellence at the 2026 Southern African Development Community (SADC) Media Awards in Durban on Monday.

The awards, presented on the sidelines of the 46th Ordinary Summit of SADC Heads of State and Government, celebrate outstanding journalism that advances understanding of regional integration, development and cooperation among SADC Member States.

Government has congratulated the two South African journalists on their achievement, describing the recognition as a reflection of the important role the media plays in strengthening regional understanding and cooperation.

The awards recognise media practitioners in four categories: Photo, Print, Television and Radio Journalism.  

Siyabulela Duda, a photojournalist at the Government Communication and Information System (GCIS) clinched second prize in the photo category, while Seakga Relebogile Tladi from Spunik Radio Africa, who works as a radio reporter, was awarded second prize in the radio category.

“Government extends its warmest congratulations to Messrs Duda and Tladi for this important achievement and for demonstrating the professionalism, creativity and commitment that characterise the best of South African journalism. 

“Their recognition is also a reflection of the important role played by the media in strengthening regional cooperation and promoting greater public understanding of the SADC agenda.

“Through compelling visual storytelling, radio journalism and other forms of reporting, journalists help connect citizens across the region and bring the work of SADC closer to communities,” the GCIS said in a statement. 

Duda was awarded second prize of US$1,000 for his entry captioned: “Former Deputy President of South Africa, Phumzile Mlambo-Ngcuka, congratulates newly inaugurated Namibian President Netumbo Nandi-Ndaitwah at State House in Windhoek, Namibia”.

The photo appeared under the headline: “Women’s Hour”. The entry highlighted the SADC region’s progress in placing women in high-level decision-making positions, including the Presidency.

Tladi won second prize of US$1,000 for his entry: “SADC Solidarity and Sanctions in Zimbabwe,” which analysed the impact of sanctions imposed on the Republic of Zimbabwe, a SADC Member State, and Zimbabwe’s resilience in the face of these sanctions.

The entry featured officials from SADC Member States, including Lesotho, Namibia and Zimbabwe, who highlighted SADC’s solidarity with Zimbabwe and called for the lifting of the sanctions.

“The South African Government further commends all South African journalists who continue to report on regional and continental developments with integrity, professionalism and dedication.

“Government believes that a vibrant, ethical and professional media is essential to advancing informed public discourse, strengthening democracy and deepening people-to-people solidarity across the Southern African region,” the GCIS said.

The Government of South Africa wished Messrs Duda and Tladi continued success in their respective careers and congratulated them once again on this well-deserved recognition at the SADC Media Awards. – SAnews.gov.za

taungdailynews@gmail.com

DA in North West raises concerns as 15 000 jobs are shed


By KEDIBONE MOLAETSI

18 August 2026 – South Africans continue to grapple with unemployment. This comes after Statistics South Africa showed that a narrow definition of unemployment has risen by 0.9% to 33.6% with the number of unemployed persons rising by 345 000. 

The statistics showed that the expanded definition of unemployment rose overall by 0.1% to 43.8% with a total decrease in the number of employed persons by 16 000. Particularly concerning losses were seen in community and social services (57 000), mining (26 000), and agriculture and manufacturing (15 000 each). 

According to the statistics, the job losses in provinces included the Western Cape (48 000), Gauteng (22 000), and North West (15 000). However, the positive gains were recorded in trade (70 000), construction (39 000), finance (11 000), Mpumalanga (41 000), Eastern Cape (13 000) and Free State (9 000).

The Democratic Alliance (DA) provincial leader, Freddy Sonakile said: “The ANC has failed the North West. The latest Quarterly Labour Force Survey delivers a devastating verdict on the ANC government’s handling of the North West economy.

“The province’s official unemployment rate has jumped from 35.3% to 38.1% in just one quarter, an increase of 2.8 percentage points, among the largest increases recorded nationally. Even more alarming, the North West now has a combined unemployment and potential labour force rate of 56.0%, the highest in South Africa.”

Sonakile further said the 56% figure tells the real story. He added that it includes not only those officially unemployed, but also people who want to work yet are no longer actively looking or are otherwise part of the potential labour force.

“More than half of the province’s potential workforce is effectively locked out of meaningful economic participation. The economy is moving in the wrong direction. The North West shed 15,000 jobs in the second quarter of 2026, placing it among the provinces that recorded employment declines.

“These are not merely statistics. They represent households losing income, businesses struggling to survive and people losing hope that there is a future for them in the province. Yet what has the ANC government offered?” asked Sonakile.

He said another summit, another strategy, another task team and another announcement. Sonakile said municipalities are failing, infrastructure is deteriorating, businesses face red tape, basic services remain unreliable and the provincial government continues to make excuses for an economy that is simply not creating enough jobs.

“The irony is that the North West has everything it needs to succeed. We have mining, agriculture, tourism, manufacturing and our strategic proximity to Gauteng. What we lack is a government capable of turning these advantages into sustained economic opportunity.

“The problem is not a lack of potential. The problem is a lack of competent government. The DA will take a fundamentally different approach. We want a North West where municipalities work, infrastructure supports economic activity, businesses can operate without unnecessary political and bureaucratic obstacles, procurement is transparent, investors have confidence and small businesses are given room to grow,” he said.

Meanwhile, ANC provincial secretary, Louis Diremelo said they are deeply concerned about the alarming unemployment rate in the province, which stands at approximately 56%. Diremelo said this level of unemployment, particularly among young people, remains one of the most pressing socio-economic challenges confronting the province and requires urgent and coordinated intervention. 

“The ANC therefore directs the Executive Council (EXCO), municipalities and private-sector partners to fast-track the implementation of already planned and established employment drives, job-creation programmes and economic development initiatives aimed at fighting the scourge of unemployment. 

“Government at all levels must work closely with the private sector to unlock economic opportunities, support investment, empower small and emerging businesses and ensure that employment programmes translate into sustainable jobs for the people of the North West,” he said. 

taungdailynews@gmail.com

Picture: Some of residents sitting at traffic lights looking for employment/Generic

NWU FC unveils new kit and squad ahead of NFD debut


By AGISANANG SCUFF 

19 August 2026 – The North West University (NWU) has officially unveiled the new NWU FC playing kit and announced its squad for the 2026/2027 Motsepe Foundation Championship season, marking a historic new chapter in the University’s sporting journey. The unveiling and squad announcement took place at an event attended by senior university leaders, government representatives, football administrators, sports leaders and other stakeholders who gathered to celebrate NWU FC’s transition into professional football. 

The occasion follows the NWU Eagles’ successful promotion to the Motsepe Foundation Championship after a remarkable campaign in Mthatha, where the team secured its place in South Africa’s professional football ranks. The event was formally opened by NWU Deputy Vice-Chancellor Dr Joe Molete, while the purpose of the occasion was outlined by the Executive Director for Corporate Relations Marketing and Sports and Chairperson of Eagles Sporting Excellence (Pty) Ltd, Clement Manoko. 

The programme brought together prominent representatives from the University, government and the sporting fraternity, including North West Provincial Sports Confederation President Mr Thebe Sekoto, Executive Mayor of Mahikeng Local Municipality Cllr Tshepiso Mphehlo, North West MEC for Arts, Culture, Sports and Recreation Mr Wessels Morweng, and NWU Council Deputy Chairperson Pastor Piet Tlhabanyane. The programme also included the official NWU FC team announcement for the 2026/2027 National First Division season, as well as messages of support from key stakeholders. 

Delivering the keynote address and officially unveiling the new kit, NWU principal and vice-chancellor, Professor Bismark Tyobeka described the occasion as more than a sporting event, saying it represented a new chapter for the University and the province. 

“Today, we are not only unveiling a football kit. We are unveiling a new chapter in the history of the North-West University and the province at large. NWU FC’s promotion was the result of years of deliberate investment in student-athletes, discipline and belief in sporting potential. 

“The NWU Soccer Institute, established in 2007, has progressively created a pathway linking sporting talent with academic development and professional opportunity. Over the past three years, 109 players have participated in the programme, with nine progressing into professional football,” he said. 

Tyobeka further said the programme’s achievements include Varsity Football Championship success in 2019, ABC Motsepe provincial championship titles in 2022 and 2026, culminating in promotion to the National First Division. He added that the University has also seen its football programme receive individual and team recognition, including Team of the Year, Coach of the Year and Player of the Year accolades.

“The move into the Motsepe Foundation Championship represents an important transition for NWU FC. Professional football requires the University and its football structures to operate at a higher level of governance, compliance and operational excellence. 

“We have crossed from university and amateur competition into a professional league environment. That requires a corresponding shift in how we govern, manage and support this team. Professional football demands stronger governance, compliance, infrastructure, financial discipline and operational excellence,” said Tyobeka. 

He said the promotion of NWU FC carries significance beyond the football pitch, strengthening the University’s visibility, creating opportunities for partnerships and bringing the institution closer to communities. Tyobeka emphasised that sport is an important part of the NWU value proposition, contributing to discipline, leadership, resilience and character while creating opportunities for talented young people. 

taungdailynews@gmail.com

Setlhopa sa Cameroon FC se ikgapela tonamente 


Ka REGINALD KANYANE 

18 Phatwe 2026 – Barulaganyi ba tonamente ya kgwele ya dinao e e neng e tshwaretswe kwa lebaleng la Mighty Boys FC kwa motseng wa Manthe, gaufi le Taung, ba re ba itumeletse thologelo e ba e boneng. Barulaganyi ba, ba ne ba tshwere tonamente ya ditlhopa di le robedi ya matsatsi a le mabedi. 

Mongwe wa barulaganyi, Charlie Ramonnye are balatedi ba kgwele ya dinao ba iponetse lobebe lwa kgwele ya dinao. Ramonnye are thologelo e ne e usa pelo, mme e tla rotloetsa batshameki go godisa talente ya bone. 

“Ke rata go leboga baagi botlhe ka bophara ba ba nnileng karolo mo tonamente e. Ntle le bone, re ka be re sa kgona go nna le tonamente e e atlegileng jaana. Ntlhakgolo ya tonamente e, ke go gopola bomme, gonne ke kgwedi ya bone e. Ntle le bomme ga gona tswelelo-pele. 

“Ke ka moo re batlang go romela molaetsa go bomme botlhe gore ba itse fa ba le botlhokwa ebile ra ba rata. Gape, re ikuela go borre go ka emisa ka tshotlakako go bomme le bana. Re kopa bomme botlhe ba ba itemogelang tshotlakako, ba buele kwa ntle gore ba thusiwe,” Ramonnye wa tlhalosa. 

Ramonnye gape o lebogile ditlhopa tsotlhe tse di neng di tshotse karolo mo tonamenteng e. Are setlhopa se se fentseng tonamente e, sa Cameroon FC sa kwa motsesetoropong wa kwa Pudimoe, se ikgapetse mausa-usa a diranta a lekana le R20 000, ga mmogo le dimetale tsa gauta di le 20. 

“Seo se akaretsa le sejana. Setlhopa se se latlhegetsweng kwa makgaola-kgannyeng sa Lovely Movers FC, se ikgapetse R10 000 le dimetale tsa selefera di le 20. Re itumeletse thologelo le bannaleseabe ka kakaretso. 

“Ke ikuela go balatedi ba kgwele ya dinao go netefatsa fa ba nna teng gape mo ngwageng o tlang,” Ramonnye wa tlhalosa. 

Motsamaisi wa setlhopa se se fentseng tonamente sa Cameroon FC, William Galetlhobogwe are: “Re motlotlo go tsholetsa sejana se, mme re leboga thata gore re be re fitlheletse mo re fitlheletseng teng morago ga matsapa. Tonamente e tsamaile sentle le fa re ne re sa itumelela ka mokgwa o moletsaphala a neng a tsamaisa motshameko wa rona ka teng letsatsi pele ga le. 

“Re nagana gore go na le fa a neng a re gatelela gone. Fela rona re ditau, re ile ra lwana go fitlha kwa makgaolakgannyeng le go a fenya.” 

Mokatisi wa setlhopa se se latlhegetsweng kwa makgaola-kgannyeng sa Lovely Movers FC, Jacob Tshilo are o ne a sa tla ka batshameki ba gagwe ba ba feletseng. Fela Tshilo are ba ne ba tshameka le setlhopa se se popota. 

“Basimanyana ba tshamikile ebile ke rona ba re neng re sireletsa sejana se. Re ne re tshameka le setlhopa se se popotsa, mme re tla leka gape mo ngwageng o tlang,” Tshilo wa tlhalosa.

taungdailynews@gmail.com