
Picture: Manual and Maria Gomez/Facebook
By STAFF REPORTER
21 May 2026 – A double murder case against five accused, Smanga Aron Saulo (37), Tebogo Vincent Kolea (31), Gofaone Ronald Sekobe (27), Gaofengwe Sekobe (21) and Clifford Sekobe (34), was postponed by the Mmabatho Magistrate’s Court until 28 May 2026, for formal bail application. The accused were arrested after being linked to a double murder of Maria Gomez (57) and her husband, Manual Gomez (59) at a Pub in Golfview on 24 April 2026.
According to the North West police spokesperson, Colonel Adele Myburgh, the police were called to a shooting incident and upon arrival, they discovered the body of Maria lying on the ground. Myburgh said she was declared dead on the scene by Emergency and Medical Rescue Services (EMRS).
“The preliminary investigations revealed that her husband, Manual Gomez (59) had also been shot and had already been transported to a local hospital. He later succumbed to his injuries the same night.
“It is reported that the couple allegedly rushed from their main residence after being alerted that their son (35) was being robbed at their business, which is situated on the same premises. Upon entering the business, the couple were confronted by six armed suspects wearing masks,” she said.
Myburgh further said the suspects allegedly entered the premises, proceeded to the lounge and forced the victims to lie on the floor. She added that the victims were threatened, assaulted and robbed of several cell phones, an undisclosed amount of cash, a laptop, and the keys to a Ford Ranger, which was later used as a getaway vehicle.
“On Saturday morning, 25 April 2026, the stolen vehicle was recovered abandoned in Magogoe village. Some of the stolen cell phones were also found discarded in the veld. Five days after the incident, a tip-off was operationalised, leading to the arrest of four suspects in Magogoe village aged between 21 and 37.
“The police recovered four firearms with ammunition. One pistol belonged to the deceased victim, while another was identified as a fake/toy pistol,” said Myburgh.
Meanwhile, the acting North West Police Commissioner, Major General (Dr) Ryno Naidoo, said this breakthrough demonstrates the value of coordinated policing and intelligence-driven operations. Naidoo commended the police for their dedication and swift action in bringing the suspects to book.
“The police will remain committed to ensuring that those who commit violent crimes are traced, arrested and successfully prosecuted. Members of the public who may have information that could assist the police investigation are urged to contact Colonel Kgosi Dehimo of the Provincial Murder and Robbery Unit on 082 773 0630, their nearest police station, or Crime Stop on 08600 10111.
“Anonymous tip-offs can also be submitted via the MySAPS App from your smartphones. The Provincial Murder and Robbery Team urges victims in this case to please contact Colonel Kgosi Dihemo on 082 773 0630,” he said.
Naidoo said numerous items were recovered following the robbery, however, only a few victims who were robbed at the pub in Golf View have come forward. He said victims are encouraged to report the matter by contacting their nearest police station, calling Crime Stop on 08600 10111, or submitting information via the MySAPS app on their smartphone.