North West MEC for Community Safety and Transport Management, Wessels Morweng visits mining shaft in Orkney where four SANDF soldiers found dead  


By OBAKENG MAJE

The North West MEC for Community Safety and Transport Management, Wessel Morweng visited the mining shaft, where four South African National Defence Force (SANDF) soldiers were found dead. Four SANDF soldiers, who were on duty as part of Operation Vala Umgodi – an operation that deals with illegal mining activities, were found dead in Orkney on Saturday. 

Morweng said: “We are appreciative of the work done so far in fighting these illegal mining activities. The law enforcement personnel have apprehended 87 suspects, who have been successfully prosecuted with each sentenced to 9 years imprisonment.” 

According to the SANDF spokesperson, Siphiwe Dlamini, these soldiers were deployed on a 24-hour shift at Shaft 3 (a dormant mining shaft) in Orkney, near the disused Harry Oppenheimer Stadium, which has been a hot spot for illegal mining. Dlamini said the deceased members were found inside a container structure, which was used as a guard house for those on 24-hours duty on 6 July 2024.

“They were found upon opening the doors of the container, when the next shift was taking over the following day. The police were called in and upon inspection of the scene, all four had died with their rifles on them and their personal items still with them. The district surgeon was called to the scene and examined the bodies and confirmed no injuries.

“A team from the Pretoria FSL Chemistry Unit, also attended the scene and preliminary findings are that the death of the soldiers could have been caused by carbon monoxide poisoning from a possible fire made by them during the cold night inside the container,” he said.

Dlamini further said the bodies of the deceased were ferried to the Klerksdorp State mortuary for further investigation and post-mortem. He added that the names of the deceased will be announced once the families have been informed.

“All processes and formalities have been completed followed with the announcement of the funeral arrangements. The Minister of Defence and Military Veterans, Angie Motshekga, Deputy Minister of Defence and Military Veterans, Bantu Holomisa and Deputy Minister of Military Veterans, Richard Mkhungo, together with the acting Secretary for Defence, Dr Thobekile Gamede and the Chief of the South African National Defence Force (SANDF), General Rudzani Maphwanya sent their condolences to the families of the deceased and the entire defence family,” SAID Dlamini.

He said an inquest has been opened by the police following the deaths.

taungdailynews@gmail.com

North West MEC for Community Safety and Transport Management, Wessels Morweng introduces new strategies to combat crime


Picture: The North West MEC for Community Safety and Transport Management, Wessels Morweng in a consultative engagement with delegation from North West Police Commissioner, Lieutenant General Sello Kwena/Supplied

By BAKANG MOKOTO

The North West MEC for Community Safety and Transport Management, Wessels Morweng met with the provincial police management at his offices at Tirelo Building in Mmabatho on Friday. The police management includes all deputy and District Commissioners and the North West Police Commissioner, Lieutenant General Sello Kwena.

Morweng said the meeting that was billed as introductory, turnout to be both productive and inventive. He further said key crime fighting aspects were discussed.

“The meeting was also attended by Provincial Chairperson of the Community Policing Forum (CPF), Robert Malungane and I will meet the CFP Board in due course. The CPF is demonstrating an unadulterated love for the country and they are an important stakeholder.

“We must exert state authority and we cannot recoil to the criminality. So, we must be on the ground to ensure that we restore public confidence on us. We cannot use conventional methods to solve complex challenges brought by crime,” he said.

Morweng further said they have to use technology to ensure that they succeed in this endeavour. He added that there is no problem without a solution.

Meanwhile, Kwena and Morweng embarked on a provincial picture of policing, including challenges and strategies the police have already implemented in dealing with crime.

taungdailynews@gmail.com

ANC top brass in North West, Sello Lehari warns detractors to refrain from using his name to denigrate other leaders 


By OBAKENG MAJE 

The North West MEC for Community Safety and Transport Management, Sello Lehari said he has noted with concern some detractors, who claim to support him, mudslinging various ANC and government leaders. Lehari said the vicious attacks were launched on various social media platforms, especially on WhatsApp. 

“I categorically distance myself from any group whatsoever and remain fiercely against groupings attacking both ANC leaders and government officials. It is worth noting that I do not have a WhatsApp account and am not a member of any group. 

“I want to issue a stern warning to all who use my name by attacking provincial leaders, as well as government officials. I have directed the law enforcement agencies to investigate these charlatans and bring them to book,” he said. 

Lehari further said anyone found to have contravened any statute of the Republic, will face the might of law as a ‘matter of urgency.’ He added that as part of the collective leadership of the province, does not need anyone using his name nor position to denigrate and defame other leaders. 

“This is mere propaganda against me as both the MEC and the ANC Provincial Treasurer. I think this is an effort to injure my social standing as a leader,” said Lehari

Meanwhile, there are allegations over a fierce contestation between Lehari and the former ANCYL president, Collen Maine of who will become the North West Premier.

taungdailynews@gmail.com

Lehari: “Not all police officers are unscrupulous”


By KEDIBONE MOLAETSI 

The North West MEC for Community Safety and Transport Management, Sello Lehari said it is not all police officers who are unscrupulous and reluctant to assist communities. Lehari was speaking during the joint Ministerial Imbizo held by the Deputy Minister in the Presidency, Kenneth Morolong and Deputy Minister of Police, Cassel Mathale at Ipelegeng Township, near Schweizer Reneke on Tuesday.

Lehari applauded police who are dedicated for their unwavering commitment in serving communities. He further said though there could be some in the police who are unscrupulous, there are many who live for the profession. 

“If you work closely with police, you will realise how loyal they are. They serve our communities with dedication under difficult circumstances. They avail themselves under difficult conditions, having to face hard-core criminals with their lives in danger. 

“We understand that there are those who tarnish the uniform. We appreciate the presence of the communities, who came in numbers and participated fully during the imbizo,” said Lehari. 

He added that they described this as a sign of willingness to work with the police in the fight against crime and in creating a safer environment. Lehari said the session showcased the fruits, which the 30-year-old democracy continues to yield. 

“We are now able to express ourselves openly. We have also created platforms where communities can engage their government freely without censorship on issues relating to service delivery,” he said. 

The Provincial Community Policing Forum (CPF) Chairperson, Robert Malungane called on parents to work with teachers and School Governing Bodies (SGBs) to protect their learners and cultivate a sense of responsibility and discipline at a tender age.

Malungane was responding to a concern raised by a community member, who raised an issue regarding violence and gangsterism in schools. 

“The school environment can be safe when parents work together with teachers and School Governing Bodies (SGB). We need your attendance at parents’ meetings, so that we work together to instil discipline in these learners. 

“It is also important as a community to work with police to strengthen the fight against crime. We have noted issues raised by the community, such as a high crime rate and drug usage in townships, limited police visibility, lack of police resources like vehicles and staff shortage and traveling long distances to access police services,” he said.

There had also been concern about illegal foreign nationals who are suspected to be involved in criminality. Other concerns and complaints were responded to immediately by government entities with others to be followed up for proper investigation by relevant specialised police units. 

Meanwhile, the Deputy Ministers addressed the community members and in general encouraged communities not to withdraw cases, especially Gender Based Violence (GBV) and sexual assaults. The imbizo was held with District Development Model (DDM) approach, where all state organs from national, province and municipal level work together. 

Though this was a community engagement against crime, issues around service delivery in general were raised. 

taungdailynews@gmail.com

Spiking on N4 road in North West a concern 


By OBAKENG MAJE  

The North West MEC for Community Safety and Transport Management, Sello Lehari, will address the incessant and unceasing spiking challenges experienced mainly on N4 road. Lehari will also launch the new uniform for the elite unit, The Eagles

Lehari spokesperson, Tshegofatso Mothibedi said: “The uniform, which is different from that of the Provincial Traffic Officers’ attire, represents an identification of The Eagles

The Eagles is a specialised unit that consists of 60 members. It was established in 2023 to operate on a 24-hour basis on arterial routes, including the N4, N12, N18 and N14 consists of 60 members. 

“The activity will form part of the Provincial Government’s Accelerated Service Delivery Programme, Thuntsha Lerole, which will be held in Matlosana. The event will commence on N12 road in Klerksdorp on 10 May 2024 at 9am,” he said.

taungdailynews@gmail.com

North West MEC Sello Lehari calls for urgent arrest on Boitekong shooting massacre


Picture: North West MEC for Community Safety and Transport Management, Sello Lehari/Supplied

By OBAKENG MAJE

The North West MEC for Community Safety and Transport Management, Sello Lehari has condemned with strongest terms the brutal shooting and killing of nine people at Popo Molefe Informal Settlement in Boitekong, outside Rustenburg.

It is alleged that, Lesotho nationals shot dead nine Xhosa speaking people and eleven people survived, others still in critical conditions at hospital.

During his visit to the scene of the shooting, Lehari met some of those who have been discharged, including a child (9), who had already been taken through counselling. Prior to his visit to the scene, Lehari had urged the team of investigating officers to work around the clock and explore every lead for the speedy arrest of suspects.

“We need to see people getting arrested on this case. It is almost a week now since the shooting and victims needs to see suspects being arrested. They must be arrested and face the full wrath of the law for their violent killings.

“The people who are responsible for this, cannot continue roaming the streets freely as if nothing happened. Nine people is too many. We further call on the residents within the area to avail information that would assist the police for the arrest of the suspects,” he said.

Lehari added that, the police cannot conclude this case alone, but they need coporation from the community members who might have seeing or heard anything. He said, so any information is important for the investigators to start arresting.

“As department, we send our heartfelt condolences to the families of nine deceased m persons and wished speedy recovery to the injured ones. According to the information divulged during the briefing of stakeholders, a conflict between the Xhosa and Sotho speaking people in the area comes a long way.

“It is reported that in September, about 40 shacks belonging to the Sotho speaking people were allegedly burned down by the Xhosa speaking people,” said Lehari.

Meanwhile, the acting District Police Commissioner for Bojanala 2, Brigadier Mmamotsamai Ntoagae said they are experiencing a lot of contact crimes in the Boitekong area.

“We do have operations, make arrests and host crime prevention campaigns but we still experience a lot of cases on contact crimes,” said Ntoagae.

taungdailynews@gmail.com